Sunday 3 March 2013

Gnomeo and Juliet

 Another main animation I wanted to look into further was Gnomeo and Juliet, as it clearly explores the theme that our animations have to be based around, x vs y. This comic feature film explores a modern day take on Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet, but sets it around the rivalry between neighbouring gardens which are colour divided between red and blue. There are also a few sub narratives which also fall under the same theme, my favourite being the boy racing scene, but on lawn mowers, it is such a funny concept and really plays on neighbourhood rivalry. Underneath are two images of the film, showing the comical divide and the extremes they have gone to to separate their lives from each other.




I was unable to find much behind the scenes work relevant to my film, but in this video, 10.30 onwards as before that it only concentrates on voice overs and music, there is some really insightful snippets into their pre, post and production work. The most interesting part I found, was their frog character's dancing tests, as her movement flowed so smoothly and was so planned and thought out. I really like her skips and turning jumps mid-air.



These are a few of the character development sheets I found, which I thought showed their development the best, especially the second image with all the elements used for the environment. Although with this project I am using already made characters, I found it interesting to look at how they developed theirs, especially that they chose to draw in brown pencil.

No comments:

Post a Comment