Friday 2 November 2012

Concept art 5/5

Last but not least, the overly over used Disney. How could I miss them. They are the masters and founders of the animation we know today. The first ever film I watched (not that I remember..I was a matter of months old but my Mum used to watch it with me determined that I would like Disney animations) was Bambi, and consequently it has became my favourite Disney film (closely followed by Snow White, who doesn't love her!?).

I have found a fair few images of the concept art for Bambi, however I am still trying to find out who actually did each image, I can only assume that it is one of the talented people listed here: http://uk.imdb.com/title/tt0034492/fullcredits#cast

These first four images are the very beginnings of the development in character. As you can see in the second image, many different angles and styles have been drawn separately and then brought together and collaged into one piece. The last two images really show the movement and posture of how deers move naturally, but it still doesn't really resemble the Bambi we know and love today.





The next few images are later developments of the character, and show an in-depth depiction of the expressions and movement differences from when Bambi is in his infancy to his adolescence. I particularly like the wrinkles on his noes and how his leg movements still stay uneasy and shaky once he has grown up.



The next major component in the development of Bambi was the size difference between him and his mother. This comparison also leads to them developing his increase in size and change in shape and muscular form as he develops throughout the film.



The most interesting development process they went through though in my eyes, is the spots on his back of all things! They have so accurately measured the positioning of all of his markings, so from whichever angle it won't be inconsistent.

The final two images (I promise I will finish this blog post soon!) are also really interesting. Rico LeBrun produced both of these images, looking at the bone structure of deer, before the animators can even look at the exterior. I love the amount of research that has gone into making the movement realistic.


No comments:

Post a Comment